St John’s the Evangelist began meeting in the Third Street home of Peter and Harriet Quire in 1875. Peter Quire had worked with the Quakers in Philadelphia on the Underground Railroad prior to moving to the Point, a neighborhood first settled by the Quakers. By the end of 1875, the congregation had built its first church, now used as our Guild Hall.
From its very beginning, many of the members were of modest means, though supported by the generosity of some of Newport’s more famous
61 Poplar Street, Newport, RI 02840