IMPORTANT! Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis, events listed on this website may be canceled or postponed. Please refer to the event organizer's website for possible schedule changes. CLICK HERE for a special message from the ArtsNowRI.
Many residents of the “fifth ward” (southern Newport) could not afford to attend church due to the tradition of churches selling pew seats. In 1841, three women from Trinity Church began to hold cottage meetings in their homes, inviting these neighbors to join them. By 1849, they had grown to 88 members and bought an empty Baptist Church on South Baptist Street. Various Episcopal clergy provided them with worship services. Welcoming everyone, regardless of financial status, Emmanuel
40 Dearborn Street, Newport, RI 02840