The Theatre, which is now called the Providence Performing Arts Center, was opened as a Loew’s Movie Palace on October 6, 1928. It was designed by George and C.W. Rapp of Chicago, renowned theatre architects.
Loew's philosophy was to sell tickets to theatres; this was the inspiration for building this opulent theatre which cost $2.5 million upon completion. On opening day, more than 14,000 people came to see Joe Stoves play the $90,000 Robert Morton organ, accompanying the film “Excess
220 Weybosset Street, Providence, RI 02903
Feb 5 - Feb 10, 2019