When did the Museum open?
The Museum of Natural History, Roger Williams Park, Providence, opened in 1896. It was founded by the city of Providence, which owns and operates it. Its founding was precipitated by a donation of privately amassed mammal and bird specimens by former Providence resident, John Steere. The offer coincided with the museum-building era that characterized many American cities in the late nineteenth century. The Museum was embraced by its local community as a source of
1000 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI 02907