1788 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905
In 1891, the Edgewood neighborhood was primarily a "summer seashore resort." The "summer boarders" began to express a desire to worship and conducted services in their homes.
On November 8, these worshippers held the first public service in the Edgewood Casino on Shaw Ave., where 110 people attended. On New Year’s Eve that year, they held the first Sunday School at the Babbit home, also on Shaw Ave.
The State Legislature incorporated in January 1892 the Edgewood Church. Yet it was not until March 1, 1894 that the church purchased a lot on part of the Arnold Farm, with a two-year mortgage of $3,500.
The cornerstone of the new $13,000 brick church was laid on September 12, 1901. In 1923, renovations and additions were completed, including the Arnold Ave. wing.
Disaster struck in February 1946 when a fire completely destroyed the sanctuary and extensively damaged the rest of the building. The church then held worship services at the Harmony Lodge No. 9, F&AM, while the Chruch of the Transfiguration also made its facilities available.
The new sanctuary was dedicated in January 1950, but other parts of the building were not completed until 1954. In 1966, the church was enlarged, the steeple was added, and the enclosed connector was built.
In more than a century of worship, fellowship, and service, the church has received more than 2,100 members.
As we enter our second century of ministry in this community, we are enthusiastic as we regularly join in receiving spiritual nurture, provide Christian education, celebrate God’s wondrous gifts, share the struggles of everyday life, and serve as Christ’s representatives in reaching out to the needs of the community and world around us.